Tuesday, October 21, 2008

Running

Once upon a time I was a runner. I ran the Victoria Half Marathon in October of 2005. Just over 3 years ago. I was in the best shape of my life at that time. Then a hamstring injury prevented me from running for a bit. Then I broke my arm snowboarding with my grade 7 class. Then I was pregnant with Violet. Once she came along I got back in shape (well, enough to fit into my work pants). I was back at work on February 4th of 2008 and pregnant with Oliver before the month was half over. Needless to say, my career as a distance runner ended before it began.

That brings us to the present. I find myself once again trying to loose post pregnancy pounds (4 gone, 16 to go) and once again signed up to run a half marathon - in February. I think I might be slightly crazy since the most I have run recently is 3 miles (on Sunday) and a half is 13 miles. YIKES!!! I had better get it in gear. I was just looking at the race website and there is a 3 hour time limit on the race. I have to be able to finish under 3 hours. That itself is funny to me since my last half was run in 2:15 with a hamstring injury that made it a very painful 13 miles. However, as funny as it may sound it is a goal I am scared of at the moment since my 3 miles were run in about 40 minutes which puts me at just over 13 minute miles. At that pace I would be OK except that I was almost ready to collapse after 40 minutes. I can't even begin to imagine 170 - 180 minutes. Oh well, that's what makes it a goal.

No comments:

babies